Friday, May 30, 2008

The Undisputed Truth

A while back I got an advance copy Brother Ali's new album, The Undisputed Truth. At the time I gave it a couple of listens and didn't really care for it. I was supremely disappointed, not because I didn't like the album but because Ali is a cool dude and an awesome person who I've had the privilege of meeting on a number of occasions. I had a lot of trouble reconciling that and because I couldn't separate the person from his art, I didn't listen to the album again until this week.

In fact, I gave the album to my wife so I wouldn't be tempted to give it another try and have to start all over with the internal turmoil. TheWife didn't share my views on the album and it became a mainstay in her car's CD player ever since. All the while TheWife has been trying to convince me that the CD is worth another listen.

I finally gave in and I must admit that it's grown on me. It's still not my favorite album, but there are definitely some shining standouts, like Take Me Home and Walking Away. Check it out, you all may like it more than I did.

No comments: