Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stripped!

Just got home from the Eddie Izzard show. It was ok. Certainly better than Definite Article, but nowhere near as good as Dressed to Kill. I think the reason I liked the show, but did not love it, was because the entire show was devoted to two topics, really. He alternated back and forth, using his special brand of free association, between God and human history. Whereas in other performances of the past, he ranges a lot further with topics and jokes.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with either topic, it's just that after an hour of it, things start to feel a bit stale. And then you've still got another hour-plus to go. For me, the highlight of the show was in the first 10 minutes when he said that dyslexics hate the city of Minneapolis. "Because they can't spell the fucking name!"

I was also a bit disappointed in that he came out on stage in full bloke gear. That's a new twist. He's gone from being an "Action Transvestite" to an "Off-duty Transvestite." I really had to wonder if, with the success of his new show, The Riches, F/X network has asked him to tone down that part of his personality in public. Or maybe some random fuck-knob told him that that kind of thing won't play in the Midwest. Either way I wouldn't be surprised. Just disappointed.

Overall, I gave the show a B+. I would suggest to most people that they should save the $70 per ticket and go buy one of his DVD's for $19.95 instead. Sorry, Eddie, but I'll give you another chance next time you are in town.

No comments: