Thursday, December 09, 2010

I am Geek


Geek. Nerd. Dork. I’ve been called them all. When I was younger those names used to hurt me. It meant I was an outsider; someone who didn’t belong.

A couple decades later, lo and behold: The geek shall inherit the earth! For a long time I couldn’t figure out how it happened that most things geek/nerd/dork became, first, subversive and, then, cool/mainstream. For chrissake there’s prime time TV dedicated to geekdom! As a child, I never would have imagined it. Now I revel in it.

It makes me smile to know that so many of the meatheads who relegated people like me to corners and sidelines now have to figure out the best way to sneak into the party. But I won’t gloat. Much.

Instead I revel in the fact that geek culture has become so accessible, so wide spread and has developed its own self-deprecating humor. Take this for example. Or this.

No comments: